Surviving Vermont Train Stations

Vermont Rail Action Network

Vermont Rail Action Network

Promoting the revitalization of Vermont's rail network for passengers and freight

The following is a list of existing train station buildings.  For a list of current Amtrak stops in Vermont click here (includes relevant travel information)

Arlington: Original Rutland Railway station is now a private home.

Barre: Originally built by the Central Vermont Railway, home of the Vermont Granite Museum
Montpelier & Wells River Railroad passenger station/office building is now TDBank North.  Photo and Map

Beecher Falls: Originally built by the Maine Central Railroad.

Bellow Falls: Originally built by the Central Vermont Railway in 1925, used by the Green Mountain Railroad (tourist line), Amtrak and Greyhound. The station has been shorn of its platform and skylights.

See http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.gmd/g3754b.pm009320

Former Railway Express Agency, built 1880 now houses offices for the Green Mountain Railroad.

Bennington: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, now used as a restaurant.

Bethel: Originally built by the CV, used as a business.

Bradford: Originally built by the Boston & Maine Railroad, used as a business.

Brandon: Rutland Railroad station, retired 1959 is used by Blue Seal Feed.

Brattleboro: Built 1915 as a union station of the Central Vermont, Boston & Maine and West River Railroads.  It's now the Brattleboro Museum, an art gallery.  Amtrak retains a waiting room downstairs at track level in the former baggage room.  Map and photos

First station, built 1849, still stands between the river and the tracks.  It's the frame building with dormers.

Central Vermont Railway freight station on rt 142, built c. 1980 is now North Country Naturals.

Boston & Maine freight house on river side of tracks now used by Merrill Gas. Once Checkerboard feed store.

Bristol: Originally built by the Bristol Railroad, privately owned. Photo of Bristol Station

Burlington: Built 1915 as Union Station of the Rutland and Central Vermont Railroads.  Now owned by Main Street Landing, it has been redeveloped with a variety of tennants and public space.  It is used by Green Mountain Railroad's Champlain Valley Flyer. Map and Photos

Castleton: Originally built by the Delaware & Hudson Railway, used as a coffeeshop and Amtrak stop.

Center Rutland: Rutland Railroad station retired 1961 is now occupied by the Rutland Railway Society.

Chester: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad in 1851, used by the Green Mountain Railroad (tourist line).

Concord: Originally built by the Maine Central Railroad.

Danby: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, sold to E.C. Crosby lumber in 1961. Now in bad shape but used by an artist.

East Clarendon: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, used as a business.

East Wallingford: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad. Station retired in 1958 and moved a mile away as a private home.

Ely: Originally built by the Boston & Maine Railroad in 1901. Closed by the railroad in 1961.

Essex Junction: Built by the Central Vermont Railway in 1962, used as an Amtrak stop and backup dispatching center for RailAmerica. Replaced station which had a four track train shed.

Fairhaven: Originally built by the D&H, vacant and boarded.

Fairlee: Originally built by the Boston & Maine Railroad, closed by the railroad in 1972. Now used as a business. More info

Ferrisburgh: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, used as a business.

Gassetts: Rutland railroad freight house, retired 1952. Now used by Depot Stone.

Gilman: Originally built by the Maine Central Railroad.

Grand Isle: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, privately owned.

Greensboro: The former St. Johnsbury & Lamoille County Railroad freight and passenger depots here still stand.

Island Pond: Originally built by the Grand Trunk Railway, home of the Island Pond Historical Society.

Johnson: Originally built by the St. Johnsbury & Lamoille County Railroad, used as a business.

Kendall: Originally built by the B&M, privately owned.

Leicester Junction: Original Rutland Railroad station is now Depot Feed Supply.

Ludlow: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad. Retired, 1960.

Lyndonville: Freight house now occupied by Freight House Brewery

Manchester: Original Rutland Railway freight station is now part of Miles Lumber

Middlebury: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad in 1910. Now an auto-parts dealer.

Milton: CV freight house is now used by L.D. Oliver seed

Montpelier: Originally built by the CV. Now used by a bank.

Montpelier Junction: Originally built in 1934 by the CV replacing a station that had burned. Used as an Amtrak stop.

Morrisville: Originally built by the StJ&LC, used as a business.

Newfane: Originally built by the West River Railroad.

New Haven Junction: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, used as a business.

Newport: Originally built by the Canadian Pacific, used as a senior center.

North Bennington: Passenger station was recently refurbished.

Freight station was used by Vermont Railway through the seventies but is closed now and used for storage by Whitman feed.

North Clarendon: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, used as a business.

North Dorset: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, used as a business.

North Ferrisburgh: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, used as a business.

Northfield: The former CV freight and passenger depots here still stand, used as businesses.

Norwich: The former B&M freight and passenger depots here still stand.

Piermont: Originally built by the Boston & Maine Railroad, used as a business.

Poultney: Photo

Putney: Originally built by the Boston & Maine Railroad, now a private home (with an ex CV flanger it’s yard, resting on the former “house track” still present under the dirt).

Randolph: Originally built by the CV, now occupied by a cafe.

The former CV freight depot here also still stands, restored and used as an Amtrak stop.

Richford: Former Canadian Pacific station remains, in bad shape.

Richmond: CV Freight station is used by Richmond Home Supply

Rupert: Originally built by the Delaware & Hudson Railway.

Rutland: New Jim Jeffords Amtrak station

Rutland Railroad freight houses are now used by Vermont Rail System Maintaince of way forces after a number of years as Mintzner Lumber.

Delaware & Hudson freight houses are now used by Vermont Rail System for offices and dispatching.

Shelburne: Originally built 1890 by the Rutland Railroad, moved to Shelburne museum.  Train order signal remains derelict at trackside. Photos

South Royalton: Originally built by the CV.

St. Albans: The former Central Vermont Railway offices and depot, built 1866-67 still stand, both used by the New England Central Railway. A four track trainshed was torn down in 1963. Photo1 Photo2 Photo3

Amtrak now uses the former express building. Photo

St. Johnsbury: Photos now welcome center and chamber of commerce

Swanton: Originally built by the CV.

Thetford: Originally built by the Boston & Maine Railroad, privately owned.

Vergennes: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad. Just moved to new Vergennes park and ride at routes 7 and 22A. Photo

Wallingford: Originally built by the Rutland Railroad, retired in 1959, moved to Pawlet and used as a business.

Waterbury: The former CV passenger station is now the Green Mountain coffeeshop and Amtrak stop.

The CV freight station also remains, used by a lumber yard until the year 2000.

Westminster: The former Boston & Maine Railroad station is now the convenience store (with an Irving gas station and Dunkin Donuts favored by train crews).

White River Junction: The White River Junction Union Station, build 1937-38 is owned by Byron Hawthorne, used as an Amtrak stop, base for the Green Mountain Railroad excursion train and welcome center. Former railroad offices upstairs are now occupied by non-profit, Vital Communities. Famous weathervane on roof.  Map

Central Vermont Railroad brick freight house still stands, now occupied by businesses.

Wilmington: Originally built by the Hoosac Tunnel & Wilmington Railroad, privately owned.

Windsor: Originally built by the CV (and also used by Boston & Main Railroad trains), used as an Amtrak stop. Building is occupied by a restaurant.

Woodstock: The former Woodstock Railway freight depot here still stands.

Upcoming Events